Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Polymer Clay Textured Cabochons & Day 4 Favorite tools

It has been a long day.... Great granddaughter Lily and daughter Heather came over this morning and then I spend most of the afternoon at the dentist. I did manage to squeeze in a little clay time tho...

 Today I used ordinary things you find around the house to make textures in a couple cabochons.  I rolled the clay into balls pressed them in the palm of my hands and then used the bottom of a diet coke can to make the round cabochon shapes.  They haven't been cured yet. I intent to antique them once they are cured, sanded and buffed.  I used Kato Pearl mixed with assorted colors of Premo and Kato. I use at least a touch of Kato Pearl in almost everything I make.


Last year when I had cataract surgery I had to put drops in my eyes 3 times a day.  I saved the bottles because I like the designs on the lids... I used them along with small screw drivers to make the texture on the purple cab.


I used a tracing wheel and an the empty ink pen barrel  to create the design on the pink cab.


 I removed the guts from the pen and then used both ends to press into the clay. The design at the tip end makes neat circles with a raised center. I use this a lot when making eyes, flower centers and flower petals and more.



 The other end has a larger hexagon design which I used to make the larger circles on the cab.  I just popped these in the oven. I will antique and sand them in the morning.


I also made a pod focal bead with a mirror image center and a mirror image pendant.   I put these in the box of things that need to be sanded.


Done for today.

More texture tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by.


7 comments:

  1. Me encantan los broches y los colgantes. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJ, I love the way your creative eye sees the possibilities in so many things, like the things for texturing that you've so generously shared. KUDOS! I'll have to see if I can find a soda can when I go by the recycling center to try out your idea ad raid the trash for that pen I just discarded.....now wear did I store that pattern tracing wheel?

    Lovely the Pod focal bead and mirror image pendant; colours, shape and interesting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thank you Anita, I'm glad you found the items useful.... I have all kinds of odds and ends in my "texture" stash.

      By the way, in order for the soda can to work it has to be full.... if you try pushing down on an empty can it smushes... it needs the soda to make it stable.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome creativity thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete