Thursday, March 11, 2010

This Old House

Our house was built in 1914, in four years it will be a true antique. Poor old gal is in need of a face lift so we are making arrangements for a new roof, new gutters, and the trim painted. We'll have brick work done later.

Hubby was suppose to take care of the details but as always happens he got the ball rolling and I'm stuck with all of the day to day details. A neighbor from down the street is our contractor. He's the one who pointed out to DH that the roof needs to be replaced... and while they are at it may as well do the gutters too. He's a nice young man but stops by and calls at odd hours, mostly in the late evenings, called the other night at 10:30.... I guess since he is a neighbor and can see our lights on he thinks it's okay. It's beginning to bug me, especially the dropping by part, I don't like to answer the door once I have my jammies on. It will be a week or two before they do the work and it's suppose to be done in one day.... we'll see.

The other thing that is my occupying my time is cleaning the basement. When I closed our antique shop I shoved most of the stuff in the basement. I now want it all out of there. Most of the stuff needs to be boxed up and taken to the auction house. A few things will be neatly arranged in the back room. My daughter and grandson said they would help. It's a bit overwhelming when I look at all the stuff down there..... maybe I should be on that "Hoarders" tv show.

Click on the photos for a closer look.

I still managed to do a little claying, I made a couple little deco style canes.....
....and used them to make tiles. The clay is a mixture of Fimo Classic and Kato. You'd think by now that I would remember Fimo always darkens in the oven and add more white to lighten it. Thats one of the things I like most about Kato the colors are pretty much the same after curing. I like these but I wish they were lighter.

And I made some wire leaves to use as part of the chains.

6 comments:

  1. The contractor neighbor seems a bit aloof. Remember Grandma, you start remodeling and the spiritual activity in your house might really kick it into gear. I hear that happens for some reason...

    Those tiles remind me of stained glass windows. They're neat. I like the leaves too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tiles, BJ, they are pretty! Sorry they darkened on you but they still look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool designs!! Please make more!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tiles look great! I look forward to seeing what you do with those lovely wire leaves.

    Having just swapped to Kato I can't beleive how much the fimo colours change -hadn't bothered me before but now it does. I guess I should make some colour chips and leave them in my fimo box to remind me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Miss Sarah, you think my ghost is on the move?

    Thank you Jackie

    Thanks Mary, I am making more leaves in different colors.

    Thank you Surfingcat... Yip, Fimo always darkens, drives me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have been busy in spite of it all the "distractions". Neat cane and tile. Too bad the tiles darkened, but I think they're still very pretty. The darker makes it kind of sophisticated and subtle palette. Cool wire leaves. Will be fun to see how you use them.

    ReplyDelete