Saturday, September 24, 2011

Armadillo & More Old to New Canes

Get yourself a cup of coffee... or tea... sit back and relax, I have a lot of photos to show you.  I've reorganized my canes, weeded out the old ones I didn't like and made them into new one I do like... only had a couple duds that ended up in the scrap bag.  I think I''m pretty much done making new canes from old.... at least for now.

First I want to show you my Armadillo pin... at least I think he's an armadillo, he just kinda crawled out of the clay on his own.... looks more like an armadillo than any other critter.

Back side of pin, I used one of the pinbacks with a bail so he can be worn as a pin or pendant.

Now on to the New from old canes.

Most of the new canes are about an inch  to 1 1/2" long, I can usually get a dozen or so beads from each cane.  I'm gonna make beads tonight and then start on a special project tomorrow... I will tell you about that later, remind me, okay?

The 4 smaller canes are from ones similar to the one in the middle.  These are made differently than the ones I made in the tutorial.   To make the two canes at the top I reduced the center cane into a 4" log then ran it thought the pasta machine on the No 1 setting.  Cut the strip into 1 1/2" pieces and assembled the canes.  I did the same with the two at the bottom only I went a couple steps further, I sliced them across from corner to corner.... like in the tute..  then cut the triangle logs in half and put them together... clear as mud, right?

The small ones are all from the big one on the left.  Adding black and white is always a good thing to do. 

This is a group picture...

The two square canes are from the round one... I think that was one of my first attempts at a flower cane... not sure what kind of a flower I was aiming for.

The square cane is from the striped checkerboard cane. 

Oops... more from the round cane above. I usually make fairly small canes but I had lots of that one!

The two canes at the top are from the bigger one at the bottom.

These are all from my attempt at  garden butterfly cane.... makes me cringe just thinking about it, it was pretty pathetic... but I like these.    That bottom one makes really cool beads, I'll show you when I get them cured.

I do not remember what I was trying for with the original cane.... it must have been so bad I blocked it from my mind.  The background color is strange but it kinda grows on you.... at least that's what I keep telling myself.  I sent a set of these to a friend... you know who you are... we will see what her reaction is.   Hopefully they will make nice beads.

Made from odds and ends.... except for the first one in the 2nd row... I showed it to you above.... don't know how it snuck into this photo too.  My cat was helping me.

More odds and ends..... except for the bottom on the right, showed it before... cat still helping.

and more odds and ends, the two at the bottom were made from the same cane.  If you are dying to see the original canes most can be seen on my Flickr page under "Polymer Clay canes".

Okay, that's it for today... thanks for stopping by.


  1. Auh-door-a-bull!! Great design of this little guy! Every time I finish looking at your posts, I am inspired to do a cane. And then I look at my work top. LOL.

  2. I love the little Armadillo! So cute! Great canes, it's fun to see your new from old canes.

  3. Thanks Marlene. Your work area couldn't be any worse than mine... I'm down to about 6 inches of open space. ... time to do a little cleaning.

    Thank you Trina. I'm glad I found a way to use the old canes.... some were pretty bad.

  4. Super armadillo and great upcycling of old canes.