Sunday, August 18, 2013

Inchie Necklace & other Polymer Clay Jewelry

I know... I'm behind on my blogging again, sorry about that. I got sidetracked with reorganizing my canes which lead to reorganizing my beads and then to attempting to finish some of the the many jewelry projects I started and set aside. Here are some of the results.

First off I took all my canes out of Glad food containers. I put the longer ones in these big clear storage containers that were on sale at Michaels.

Another big container of canes.  I really like these, wish I had thought of it sooner. So much easier to find the canes I'm looking for.

The shorter ones are in bead containers that I buy from Fire Mountain Gems, I love these containers and use them for my beads too.

I keep them on a shelf in my studio, as you can see I have lots of the little containers and 2 of the big ones. I like these because the lids are clear and I can see inside without opening the lids.

Now that my canes are organized I have been using them to make lots of beads..... which I will show you later.

Now here are some of the necklaces that I finally completed.

I used a set of inchies with matching beads to make this one.

I also used an inchie as the focal interest in this pendant. I had half a broken bracelet that I hadn't tossed out, now I'm glad I didn't.  I am quite happy with the way this turned out.  

I added a drop to this pendant and used red glass beads asymmetrically on the chain. 

I made the bales with coiled  wire. The back is textured with sandpaper and painted with PearlEx

 Getting ready for fall with the warm colors on this necklace and complimentary earrings.

Closer look at the necklace.

Back side of the necklace beads.

Closer look at the earrings.

I strung this pendant on waxed cord. The beads are separated by  Chinese Button Knots.  It always takes me longer to tie those darn knots than it does to make the beads but I like the way they look so I guess it is worth it,

Close up of the pendant and beads. 

I had a hard time deciding how I wanted to string this pendant. I tried it on rubber cord, didn't like that, then on satin cord, didn't like that so I ended up putting it on suede cord but the color was wrong. So.....

I came up with the brilliant idea to dye it with alcohol ink and it worked great. After letting it dry I tested the cord with a drop of water to see if it would rub off and I also wore the necklace for several hours to see if it would come off on my skin and yay!! it didn't.  I love the color, don't you?

Closer look at the pendant and dyed cord.

Now I can have cords any color I want, I have lots of suede cord and lots of alcohol inks. 

That is it for today, I have more to show you but the timer went off and I need to take beads out of the oven.  

Thanks for stopping by. 


  1. Thanks for sharing your storage for canes. Great idea. Looks great too.

  2. I always love seeing your beautiful creations, BJ (and always amazed how much you get PHOTOGRAPHED, too)!

    1. Thank you Monique, you always say the nicest things.

  3. I always admire your beautiful work, but I've got to say I'm am absolutely in-love with the last pendant.; the integrated wire-work is brilliant. Great idea with the suede and alcohol inks, too. :)

    1. Thank you, I really like that pendant too and I was thrilled that dying the cord with alcohol ink worked.

  4. Thanks for the tip regarding the suede cording and alcohol ink. Gotta give that a try. It would be great to be able to co-ordinate the focal and the cording.

  5. You are welcome JuLee, I'm always happy to pass on tidbits of information.