Saturday, March 8, 2014

Our Retirement Cottage in Eureka Springs, Arkansas

I haven't posted for some time.... sorry about that.  The last few weeks have been a little hectic. We have been going back and forth from our home here in Highland to look for a place in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  After looking at many places we found one we love.  It is this delightful little cottage sitting on the side of a hill overlooking the downtown area of Eureka Springs.

It was built in 1900 and has been completely updated while retaining it's old world charm.

Here is a photo of the front of the cottage


This is the back of the cottage taken from the street below and looking up


The first floor has a wrap around porch on 3 sides and there is a 2nd porch on the lower level. There are swings on both levels, here is the swing on the lower level.



Here are a couple photos of the view overlooking the town.  I will take more when we get moved in.


This one is from the lower level porch.


Jacobs Ladder is a set of historic steps that run along the side of our property.  They lead to the historic district of Eureka Springs.  All we have to do is walk down the steps to an abundance of delightful shops and  wide array of wonderful restaurants.



We closed on the 28th spend one night camping out in the cottage and then had to return to Highland because of the weather.  I wanted very much to stay the weekend to experience the Mardi Gras parade but couldn't take the chance of driving back in an ice storm.  We have relatives that also live in Eureka Springs. Carol took these photos of the parade.  How cool is that? We will be living within walking distance of all the fun events that take place in this historic town.



Carol also took a photo of the little birdhouse in our back yard.  There are all kinds of critters and birds that inhabit the town as well as an abundance of creative folks that sell there wares in the shops. I definitely won't lack for inspiration!




It will be a few weeks before we get completely moved but once we do I plan to blog at least once a week about the shops, restaurants and events in Eureka Springs.  After all the packing and unpacking is done I will also get back to blogging about polymer clay so please don't give up on me. I have several new ideas that I want to share with you.... even have plans for a tutorial or two.

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by.



22 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks like you've found a little bit of heaven in Arkansas. I'm looking forward to reading about all your discoveries in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Nan, it's perfect and we couldn't ask for a better location.

      Delete
    2. I'm so envious. I live in Arkansas and I love Eureka Springs. Just wait until you get to attend the huge craft show they have nearby at the old mill! Wish I lived closer, perhaps we could play clay together....

      Delete
  2. hi just found you on Polymer central. What a wonderful fascinating place you
    are living in.
    all the best for the future.
    See you again on PC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am sure we will be very happy in Eureka Sprimgs.

      Delete
  3. I love it! I'm very happy for you. Take it slow and easy, moving is hard!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacks. Slow and easy is the only way I move these days, lol. Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  4. I just know you are going to love it there. It is so quaint and your home is so lovely! I wish you every happiness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. It's a charming cottage, we were lucky to find it. The town is just my cup of tea, love it!

      Delete
  5. It's just like stepping back in time, BJ :) What inspiration to create you will enjoy here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Monique, it does have a "old world" feel to it. You should come for a visit.

      Delete
  6. The cottage looks beautiful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. It really is a charming little place.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! The cottage looks lovely and the trees are fabulous. Hope you are very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita. Because of the trees it has a county feel even tho it right in the center of town. All kinds of wild life too.... lots of deer, squirrels, and a ground hog..... and birds, lots and lots of birds. Delightful!!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your new place. I live in Kansas City, please let us know if you are going to teach any classes there, I would love to attend one and would love to come spend a weekend in Eureka Springs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I may teach a class or two... I will let you know. That would be fun. Will have to get settled first tho.

      Delete
  9. It's beautiful! Congratulations :D. Where's your studio going to be? I know you won't be giving up clay and jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MK... there is a 2nd kitchen on the lower level (walk out basement) that will be my studio.... I could never give up claying!! I will take photos once I get it set up. I'm still in Illinois packing.... one of these days the move will be over.... I hope!!

      Delete
  10. Wow what an amazing looking cottage and location. Wishing you many happy years in your new place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah. I am looking forward to sharing photos and info about Eureka Springs..... that will keep me busy for years to come!

      Delete
  11. Oh It's just beautiful! I love Eureka Springs - I got married there :) It's a wonderful place to live. And your cottage is just perfect - I hope you have many happy years there. I did want to ask you a question - if you don't have time with all the packing etc that's ok, maybe someone else will know.

    I'm using Pardo Art Clay for the first time because it's supposed to best for caning. I usually use Premo! but it is just too soft. However, the Art Clay is like trying to knead a rock!!!! Or it turns into crumbles. I got some Sculpey clay softener and that does work, but I just don't have the arm strength to get it mixed in. How do you manage this clay? Your work is beautiful (I read a post of yours from 2010 - i know a long time ago - but it mentioned this is the clay you use.) Thanks for any info - and I'm patient, I know you're busy :) Karen

    ReplyDelete