Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mixed Media Whirlwind Necklaces

I know I am suppose to be making bracelets but I got  new toys last week and couldn't resist playing with them.  I was surfing Amazon looking for hardware to make a "bracelet buddy" when I spotted this multi-mandril set.... looked like fun to me so I ordered one. There's a handle and four shapes, triangle, oval, round and square.

Click on the photos for a closer look.



I used the triangle to make the first necklace.... along with polymer clay beads and goldstone beads.

This is probably not the intended use for the mandrils but it popped in my head the minute I saw them. I like the whirlwind effect.


Back view showing how I finished the back of the pendant.


Close up of the wire work.


Hanging on a display.



The second necklace is burgundy wire and glass beads. I used the oval mandril this time.


I love these beads, I have them in several different colors.  The red looks pretty with the burgundy wire. I made a woven wire hook for the clasp.


Hanging on the display. I may have to keep this one, I really like it.


Now I am heading back to the clay room to work on..... bracelets!!  I haven't finished a single one..... and I have more new toys. A cool tool set and cabochon molds from Penni Jo, the Swellegant's from Christi Friesan and the nylon cutter sets and texture sheets from Shades of Clay.  At the rate I'm going the YaYa's may end up with necklaces this year.

Thanks for stopping by.

15 comments:

  1. I have that tool, and you know what I never used it! I feel inspired to dig it out now and have a go. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo, definitely go dig it out, they are fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making lovely things with your new toys. So cool to see the innovative things you've done with the oval and triangular mandrel. You have such a creative brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, the mandril is fun to play with. BJ

      Delete
  4. I know the feeling - so hard to concentrate on something you should be doing when there are so many new things to play with and try out! Cool necklaces! I particularly like the triangle whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's why I don't like and rarely take, custom orders... I much prefer doing what I want to do. The triangle whirlwind did turn out well, I'm planning another in purple.

      Delete
  5. ahaha I just got the same set of Mandrels and I have been good, getting done what needed to be done first. I wish I had cut loose and played like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath.... well now that you have everything done you can play too. Would love to see what you do with the mandril. Beej

      Delete
  6. These are so cool!! I know what you mean, it's difficult sometimes to do what we should be doing when so many new ideas are popping into our head! Have fun with your new toys, looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trina... there is always something new to learn with polymer clay, that's why I love playing with it.... other things will just have to wait. lol

      BJ

      Delete
  7. I have the same tools and haven't used them, in fact I just came across them while looking for some other tool. These creations are awesome...how creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, seems like an eternity since I last saw your blog!!! What I have missed !! jeez. These Mandrels look really cool.. oh, the possibilities! Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautifully designed jewelry. I am always in awe of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a creative concept on these necklaces. Absolutely love the style
    you did an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah. I am getting an itch to do more wire pieces. BJ

      Delete